Skip to main content

Campus and Community Wellness Resources

Food Insecurity

Salem State University Resources

SSU Food Pantry

  • Hours for the pantry are M-F, 7 am-10 pm.
  • Location: Ellison Campus Center, 1st floor- no appointment needed
  • Please contact the LEAD office at 978.542.6506 or with any questions!

Salem State Fresh Harvest Pop Up

  • Available the first and third Wednesday of each month, the stand is open from 10 am-2 pm on Salem State’s campus at 68 Loring Avenue across from Central Campus.

SSU Student Life Case Manager

Tips on Food Insecurity

  • You are not alone - 59% of Salem State students experience food insecurity
  • Start the process early, it can take time to access some of these programs
  • We have resources on and off-campus

Northshore Resources: Food Pantries

Salem based Farmer’s markets


Mobile Markets

Massachusetts Resources: Food Pantries

Barnstable, Dukes & Nantucket










Western MA Mobile Food Bank


Food Pantries

Mobile Markets

Farmers markets

Daily Plate-Boston Based

SNAP (Food Stamps)

  • For assistance contact the Student Life Case Manager
  • Food Source Hotline-1-800-645-8333 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, Saturday 10am to 2pm
    • Screening for SNAP Eligibility
    • Providing SNAP Eligibility
    • Connecting callers to local resources
  • SNAP Application
    • You will need:
      • Birth dates
      • Social Security Numbers
      • Incomes
      • Expenses

Housing Insecurity

Salem State University Resources

Residence Life

Homelessness/Housing Insecurity
Contact Rachel Frank, Student Life Case Manager
(978) 542-2077

Tips on Housing Insecurity

  • You are not alone - 10% of students experience homelessness and 32% experience housing insecurity
  • Start the process early, it can take time to access some of these programs
  • We have resources on and off-campus

North Shore Resources

Lynn Housing Authority and Neighborhood Development (LHAND)

  • North Shore Housing Action Group (NSHAG) Youth: A state-funded program to assist youth and young adults aged 18-24 in Essex County that are experiencing housing instability
  • Eligibility: Unaccompanied homeless youth and young adults under age 25
  • Program can provide financial assistance, case management, coordination of services, and referrals for additional services for eligible participants
  • Contact: Merlinda Marseille at 339.883.2332 or

The Haven Project, Lynn

  • Contact: / 781.913.5738
  • Services for 17-24 year old’s who are unaccompanied and experiencing housing instability
  • Help with basic needs, employment, housing

Lifebridge North Shore, Salem

  • 56 Margin St. Salem, MA
  • Emergency and transitional shelter, case management services, community meals
  • Contact: 978.744.0500

Massachusetts Resources

Rental Assistance Programs

Section 8

Rental Relief

Housing Assistance

Affordable Housing Programs

Mass Rental Voucher Program

Rental Assistance

FEMA Housing Assistance

Mass Housing during COVID

DMH Young Adult Resource Guide Housing Resources and Agencies

Mental Health

Salem State Resources

Salem State University Counseling and Health Services

  • Counseling services offer confidential short-term individual and group counseling. They offer crisis intervention and emergency services during regular hours. Offers workshops on requested topics, consultation and referrals with area providers when necessary.
  • To contact Counseling Services, call 978.542.6413 or message a counselor via the Health Portal. You can also visit for more information.
  • Available 8:30 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

University Police

  • For a mental health emergency that occurs at night or on a weekend, contact campus police at 978.542.6111 or your RA or resident director.

For more resources on specifics mental health topics, email

Tips on Mental Health Care

  • Going to college is a new experience, give yourself time to adjust
  • Take advantage of the many student groups as a way to get involved in activities
  • Learn different ways to self-care (Unplug, Meditate, Exercise or go outside)
  • It is ok to talk about your mental and emotional health and take advantage of counseling services. Getting support when we need it is key to our academic success.

North Shore Resources

Psychiatric Crisis Team

  • Lahey Health Behavioral Services, 35 Congress St.  Building 2, Suite 2150, Salem, MA 01970
  • Tel: 978.744.1585 or toll free: 866.523.1216
  • Students who are amenable to a level of care evaluation but are scared of going to the hospital and would prefer to meet in a regular office might not be ready to commit to going, or may need to get some things in place before going      
  • Are deemed safe to leave by a licensed staff member
  • They do walk ins, but it is better to call with the student to set up a time to avoid a wait
  • Able to be same day, but doesn’t have to be
  • Student can also call when they’re ready

Psychiatric Triage @ NSMC – Salem Hospital Emergency Department

  • North Shore Medical Center – Salem Hospital, 81 Highland Avenue, Salem MA 01970
  • Tel: 978.741.1212 x4550 (or dial directly 978.741.4550)
  • Students who are transported from SSU for a mental health evaluation are almost exclusively sent to this location.
  • We have a good working relationship with their staff, and when we initiate a student transport to them, they are almost always communicative and take our reported information into account during their assessment.
  • To facilitate this relationship, we: 
    • Provide a copy of the student’s PNC registration page to the paramedics to give to them.
    • Immediately call them when the student leaves to notify them of the student’s impending arrival and provide why we think the student would qualify for a higher level of care and what level of care we think that would be.
    • Provide a contact number that we will be able to answer for the remainder of the day (including cell phones if we are expecting the evaluation to continue on after hours.) 
  • Options for Higher Levels of Care and Off Campus Providers

North Shore Medical Center – Salem Hospital

NSMC is an affiliate of Partners Psychiatric. They are therefore networked with Mass General Hospital, McLean Hospital, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. 

81 Highland Avenue, Salem MA 01970

  • 26 bed inpatient unit 
  • **Partial Hospitalization Program (978.354.4600)
  • Adult outpatient services at two local sites 
    • Highland Hall on NSMC – Salem Hospital Campus (978.825.6620)
    • Hartman Hall on NSMC – Union Hospital Campus [Lynn] (781.477.3950)

Lahey Behavioral Health Services

Lahey Behavioral Health Services (formerly Northeast Behavioral Health & other agencies) is a multisite private, non-profit agency that provides mental health counseling, addiction treatment, and family and school-based interventions to the North Shore.

BayRidge Hospital

60 Granite Street, Lynn MA 01904

  • 62 bed inpatient adult unit (781.477.6940 for referrals/admission)
  • **Partial Hospitalization Program (781.477.6938 for referrals/admission)

M-F 8:30 am-2:30 pm; attendees come full or half days, 3-5 days per week

Assistance with transportation is provided

Referral form: (under Outpatient Services)

Beverly Hospital 

85 Herrick Street, Beverly MA 01915

  • 18 bed inpatient unit [primarily geriatric focus] (781.477.6940 for referrals/admission)
  • **Partial Hospitalization Program (978.816.2812 for referrals/admission)
  • M-F 9am-2:30pm; attendees are scheduled for programs as their needs suggest
  • Assistance with transportation is provided
  • Referral form
  • Trans Magnetic Stimulation therapy (978.304.8671 for information/referrals)
  • Electroconvulsive Treatment (781.477.6940 for information/referrals)   

Addison Gilbert Hospital 

Gloucester MA

  • Discover Addictions Program (978.283.4000 x422)
  • M-F 9 am-3 pm; attendees are scheduled for programs as their needs suggest
  • Assistance with transportation is provided

Outpatient Clinics 

  • Salem – Shetland Park, 35 Congress St. Building 2, Suite 2150 (978.745.2440)
  • Beverly – 800 Cummings Center, Suite 266 (978.921.1190)
  • Gloucester – 298 Washington Street (978.283.0296)
  • Ipswich – 25R Market Street (978.356.1776)
  • Haverhill – 60 Merrimack Street (978.373.1126)
  • Lawrence – 12 Methuen Street (978.683.3128)

South Bay Mental Health

South Bay provides a continuum of community-based services to adults, children, and families. This includes in-home counseling.

35 Congress Street, Salem MA 01970

800.244.4691 or 508.427.5362

  • Outpatient counseling and medication services
  • PHP and IOP services at other regional locations
  • Accepts the widest range of Mass Health products and other subsidized insurances

Other Psychopharm Providers

North Shore Nurse Practitioner Associates
85 Constitution Lane, Suite 300A
Danvers, MA 01923

North Shore Wellness Therapy Center

The Hunt Center
80 Lindall St., Danvers, MA 01923

Other Counseling Centers

Harborside Counseling Services
8 Thorndike Street
Beverly MA

Family Counseling Associates
152 Sylvan Street, Suite 2A
Danvers, MA 01923
978.222.3121x0 (number is general intake line for 3 locations – also in Andover & Bedford)

Massachusetts Resources

CEDAR (Center for Early Detection, Assessment, & Response to Risk)
CEDAR is a clinic for young people (ages 14-30) who are experiencing new or worsening symptoms which may be warning signs for psychosis. These can include difficulties thinking or concentrating, suspiciousness or uneasiness with others, increased sensitivity to sights or sounds, and withdrawing from family and friends.

Massachusetts Mental Health Center
75 Fenwood Road, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02115

  • Consultations with clinicians to understand if CEDAR would be a good referralExtended consultations with students to assess their symptoms, strengths, and needs, and to provide education about their experiences and a possible care plan 
  • Services for increasing protective factors and reducing symptoms and risk, including education, CBT, problem-solving consultations, stress reduction guidance, and medication services

Anna Jaques Hospital (pronounced Anna Jakes)
25 Highland Ave.
Newburyport, MA 01950

Inpatient, PHP, Dual Diagnosis, and ECT programs

McLean Hospital
115 Belmont St.
Belmont, MA 02478

Inpatient, Residential, PHP, ECT, and TMS programs

Walden Behavioral Care
51 Sawyer Road, Suite 510
Waltham, MA 02453

  • Inpatient, Residential, PHP, and IOP for eating disorders
  • Inpatient for other adult psychiatric          

Cambridge Eating Disorders Center
3 Bow St.
Cambridge, MA 02138

  • Residential, transitional, inpatient, PHP, and outpatient program
  • MEDA (Multi-service Eating Disorders Association)

CARD (Center for Anxiety & Related Disorders)
900 Commonwealth Ave, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215

  • Research based treatment, including trials and studies for anxiety, mood, and eating disorders
  • Neuropsychological assessments

Medical Psychology Associates
100 Cummings Center, Suite 456J
Beverly, MA 01915

  • Neuropsych assessments, neurofeedback, and outpatient counseling

Emergency/Crisis Services

Emergency Services Program

Behavioral Health Provider Statewide Search ESP Toll-Free Number: 1-877-382-1609

Crisis Intervention: Statewide ESP Toll-Free Number: 1-877-382-1609

Crisis Intervention by Region

Therapist Search“Find a Therapist” feature allows students to search for providers in their area, search by insurances and specialties, and see pictures and read biographies. Phone numbers and email are typically included for contact.

Therapist of Color:

L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ Crisis Services

Crisis Text Line- Connect with a trained crisis counselor to receive free, 24/7 crisis support via text message. Text HOME to 741-741. You can also message them through Facebook using the link on their homepage.

The Trans LifeLine offers peer support for trans folks 9am-3am CT:1-877-565- 8860. This hotline is staffed exclusively by trans operators is the only crisis line with a policy against non-consensual active rescue.

The Trevor Project offers phone, chat, and text crisis services 24/7 (with trained counselors) for LGBTQ identifying young people in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgement-free place to talk.

  • Call the TrevorLifeline at 1-866-488-7386.
  • TrevorChat - live, free, confidential and secure instant messaging service.
  • TrevorText - confidential and secure resource providing live help for with a trained specialist over text messages. Text START to 678678.

Health Insurance

Salem State University Resources

SSU Health Plan Information:

Massachusetts Resources

Mass Health Insurance Enrollment Guide

Mass Health Connector

  • This helps you fill out for leading health and dental insurances in the state of Massachusetts
  • Information you will need:
    • Social Security numbers for all people who are applying (if they have one).
    • Immigration documents for all non-U.S. citizens who are applying (if they have one). 
    • A copy of your federal tax return from last year. If you did not file taxes last year, or your income has changed since last year, have information about your current income ready (such as recent pay stubs or an unemployment award letter).
    • Home address or mailing address (if applicable) for everyone in your household who needs insurance, unless they are homeless.
    • If you are found eligible for coverage through the Health Connector and you plan to make a payment online, you will need your banking institution routing number and account number for either your checking or savings account (if you have a premium).
    • If you are found eligible for coverage through the Health Connector and you plan to make a payment by mail or in-person, you will need a personal check or money order to make a payment for your first month’s premium (if you have one).
    • If your employer offers health insurance, ask your employer these questions:
      • Do any of the health plans that the employer offers meet the “minimum value” standard?
      • What is the employee contribution to the lowest-cost health plan offered by your employer for an individual?
        • How often?
          • Weekly
          • Every 2 weeks
          • Twice a month
          • Monthly
  • People you can include on your application
    • Yourself
    • Your spouse
    • Your natural, adoptive, or step-children under age 19
    • Your unmarried partner if you have children together who are under age 19
    • Your unmarried partner’s children who live with you and who are under age 19, if you also include your unmarried partner
    • Anyone you include on your tax return (even if they do not live with you)
    • Anyone your unmarried partner included on his or her tax return (even if they do not live with you), if you also include your unmarried partner
    • Anyone else under age 19 who you live with and take care of
  • You do not have to include
    • Your unmarried partner, unless you have children together
    • Your unmarried partner’s children, unless they live with you
    • Your parents who you live with and who file their own taxes if they do not claim you as a tax dependent (if you are aged 19 or older)
    • Other adult relatives who you do not claim as a tax dependent

Physical Health

Salem State University Resources

SSU Counseling and Health Services

  • Any student with concerns about COVID-19 exposure or symptoms should reach out to health services directly, by phone at 978.542.6413 or by a health portal message:
  • Most health concerns can be assessed via our video telehealth platform and you are encouraged to schedule an appointment for any health concerns such as cold symptoms, concerns about COVID-19 symptoms or exposures, skin concerns, birth control, STI exposure or testing, pregnancy counseling, UTIs, sexual health concerns or questions, or other illness or injury health needs. Due to the need to prioritize the public health of our Salem State community, we will prioritize students who need to be seen for covid and flu-like illnesses.

University Police
As always, if you need emergency care, please contact University Police if you are on campus at 978.542.6111, or if you are off-campus, 911.

North Shore Resources

Local Health options

Massachusetts Resources

Mass League of Community Health Centers​​​​​​​

Free and Income Based Clinics

Sexual Health

Salem State University Resources

SSU Counseling and Health Services

Tips on Sexual Health

  • It’s also important to talk about consent, which is a necessary part of any sexual activity. Communicate with your partner
  • If you are having sex and at risk for STIs, know how to protect yourself with male condoms, female condoms, dental dams, PrEP or PEP medications for HIV prevention, and STI testing
  • Make sure you know all your options on campus. We are here to help you protect yourself

Massachusetts Resources

Sexual and Reproductive Health Site by Region​​​​​​​

Planned Parenthood

Mail Contraceptive and STI Testing

Contraceptive and STI Testing Locations​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Gender-Based Violence Support

Salem State University Resources

 Prevention, Education, Advocacy, and Response (PEAR) Program

  • PEAR provides confidential advocacy and support, information about students’ rights and options, assistance in reporting if a student chooses, referrals to resources, and more.
  • PEAR Confidential Advocacy Line (call or text): 978-594-7089 (active 8am-8pm daily)
  • Drop-in Virtual Hours: (M/W/F 10-12 and Tu/Th 1-4pm) 

Counseling and Health Services:

  • Contact a counselor for confidential support at 978.542.6413 or via the Health Portal

Title IX

  • Non-confidential/private resource for reporting an incident and learning about your rights
  • Deputy Title IX Coordinator/Dean of Students Office: 978-542-6401
  • Title IX Coordinator: 978.542.2985
  • Report an incident

Additional Information:

Tips on Gender Based Violence Prevention:

  • Talk to others about consent, boundaries, healthy relationships, and more
  • Be an active bystander and speak up if you see something unsafe
  • The PEAR Program and CHS can help students who are experiencing unhealthy or abusive relationships and provide education about healthy relationships, boundaries, and communication

North Shore Resources

YWCA North Shore Rape Crisis Center: 877.509.9922 (24/7 hotline)

Healing Abuse Working for Change (HAWC): 800.547.1649 (24/7 hotline)

Massachusetts Resources

Safelink: Contact MA Domestic Violence Hotline: 877.785.2020 (24/7)

  • People who are deaf or hard of hearing in MA: Dial 711

Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC): 800.841.8371 (24/7 hotline)

The Fenway Health Violence Recovery Program

  • 617.927.6250 (business hours)
  • VPR provides support, counseling, advocacy, and legal services to people who have experienced domestic violence, sexual violence, and anti-LGBTQ hate violence

The Network/La Red: 

  • 617-742-4911 (24/7 hotline) 
  • Survivor-led organizing to end partner abuse and support survivors in LGBQ/T, poly, and SM communities

Domestic violence programs and legal aid for survivors

Additional Resources

Substance Abuse

Salem State University Resources

Tips on Substance Abuse

  • If you make the decision to drink, here are a few things to consider
    • Avoid drinking in excess
    • Never leave a drink & return to it or accept a drink without seeing it poured
    • Avoid mixing alcohol & drugs (legal or not)
    • Alternate with non-alcoholic beverages
    • Eat before and while drinking
    • Call for help if someone has had too much
  • Good Samaritan Policy: Students experiencing an alcohol and/or drug-related medical emergency may receive amnesty (meaning they may not face any disciplinary actions) through the Salem State student conduct system when students or their friends or other persons are concerned about them and proactively seek medical assistance from University Police or Residence Life

North Shore Resources

Addictions Services

  • Discover Program PHP @Addison Gilbert Hospital (see above)
  • Outpatient Counseling – all locations (see above)
  • Court Services – including a range of outpatient, court ordered programs, including

Operating under the influence education and court evaluations (978.921.1190)

  • Outpatient Methadone 
    • Gloucester (978.283.0296) 
    • Danvers (978.777.2121)
    • The Vivitrol Program @Beverly Clinic location (978.739.7689)
    • Comprehensive treatment program to prevent relapse of opiate and alcohol dependence. Includes once monthly medication meetings and individual and group therapy.
  • Detox
  • Boston (617.247.1001)
  • Danvers (978.777.2121)
  • Tewksbury (978.259.7000)

Massachusetts Resources

Additional Resources

Unity Recovery

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services (SAMHSA) Hotline- 1-800-662-4357

College Student’s Guide to avoiding Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Legal Help

Massachusetts Law Reform Institute​​​​​​​

Mass Legal Aid​​​​​​​

Wellness Programs

Salem State University Resources

Virtual SSU: Virtual events, ways to stay active, and other remote resources

Tips on Wellness during COVID

  • Structure your day
  • Keep moving, even if you are stuck at home
  • Eat well (fruits and vegetables)
  • Drink plenty of water

Other Virtual Resources:


Massachusetts Resources



Child Care choices of Boston

Mass Statewide Childcare choices

Mass Childcare Resources

COVID Resource Pages

Salem State University Resources

Massachusetts Resources

Spiritual/Faith Guidance


Mary Queen of Apostles, a Christian community (Roman Catholic) in downtown Salem

Islamic Society of the North Shore

  • Fawaz Abusharkh, Board Member for Communication and Public Relation
  • Phone: 978-766-5955,

Clifton Lutheran Church

St. Stephen’s Methodist Church in Marblehead

Tabernacle Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Salem, Massachusetts

First Church in Salem

Combined Jewish Philanthropies, Boston

Jewish Community Center of the North Shore, Marblehead ​​​​​​​

  • Phone – 781.631.8330