Skip to main content

Pass/No Pass Specific Department Information for Undergraduates

In response to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the delivery of courses, the University has approved a temporary Pass/No Pass grading policy for the spring 2020 and fall 2020 semesters for the majority of undergraduate courses.  For a complete list of courses that will require a letter grade for all students enrolled, view the complete list here. 

Some majors have specific grading or GPA requirements for retention and graduation, so students who have questions about whether or not they should select letter grades in courses not shown on the exemption list should check the following guidance from those academic departments and check in with their faculty advisors. 

All graduating seniors with major, support or overall GPA problems going into the fall 2020 semester should also check in with the graduation team at if they have questions about being able to take P graded courses in the fall 2020 semester. For majors without higher GPA standards, students must meet the university minimum 2.000 GPA overall and in their major in order to graduate. 

Biology (Nuclear Medicine Technology)

Students concentrating in Nuclear Medicine Technology (NMT) must maintain a 2.75 average GPA in all required math and science courses listed in the NMT flowsheet.  For the spring 2020 and fall 2020 semesters only, NMT and required science and math courses may be taken for P grades and will satisfy the requirements so long as credit is earned. The P grade will not affect the 2.75 average GPA but must still be met in all other required courses taken.  Students with questions about whether to select letter grades in their courses should consult with their faculty advisor.

Chemistry and Physics

Normally, majors in Chemistry must earn a minimum grade of a C in all Chemistry and Physics courses. For spring and fall 2020 courses only, P grades will also satisfy this requirement.

Computer Science and Information Technology

All Computer Science, Information Technology and required support courses may be taken for a P grade in spring or fall 2020 courses only.  The required minimum GPAs for the major and for support courses must still be met, so students are encouraged to consult with their faculty advisor when deciding to take letter grades in their Computer Science, Information Technology or math and science support courses.

Education (Including all education programs)

The majority of classes taught in the School of Education may be taken P/NP during the spring and fall 2020 semesters.  For a list of specific fall classes that must be taken for a letter grade, please visit the list of exempt courses.  All graduate courses taken as part of a combined graduate/undergraduate licensure-track program will be graded with letter grades where normally appropriate and will follow the policy for graduate courses. This will be true for graduate courses in licensure-track programs, even if the student's primary major is not Education. 

All GPA standards for each program must still be met.  Students who are planning to apply for post-undergraduate educational licensure programs are strongly encouraged to choose letter grades.  Specific questions about whether to choose your letter grades should be directed to the School of Education Student Services Center.


Nursing students must meet all progression and grading guidelines in their major.  All Nursing courses must be graded with a letter grade and must have a grade of C+ or better to satisfy major requirements.  Students must elect to take letter grades in all of their science support courses, including BIO105, CHE117, BIO200, BIO201, and BIO304.  Grades must be a C or better in order to satisfy the requirements of the nursing major.  All other general education, free electives, and non-science support courses may be taken P/NP in the spring and fall semesters only and will satisfy requirements so long as credit is earned.

Occupational Health Studies/Occupational Therapy

Normally Occupational Health Studies students must have a B- or better in all undergraduate and graduate OT coursework.  All undergraduate OT classes and support courses may be graded P/NP for the spring or fall 2020 semesters and will satisfy major requirements so long as credit is earned.

Sport & Movement Science/Athletic Training

The majority of courses offered in the Sport & Movement Science department may be taken on a P/NP basis for the spring and fall 2020 semester.  For a list of those fall courses that must be taken for a letter grade in Athletic Training, please visit the complete list of courses exempt from the P/NP grading policy.  Normally a student must earn a minimum grade of C- in all major courses to use them for major requirements.  For spring and fall 2020 courses only, P graded major courses not on the exemption list will satisfy major requirements.  All GPA requirements for a student’s particular concentration or program must continue to be met.  For specific guidance on whether to choose letter grades, students are encouraged to work with their faculty advisors.

Social Work

All social work courses that are directly tied to professional or field readiness must be graded with a letter grade to meet the Council on Social Work Education’s requirements.  These courses include the following: SWK101, SWK102, SWK200, SWK261, SWK270, SWK305, SWK361, SWK401, and SWK406.  All other social work courses may be taken P/NP.  In SWK101, SWK102, SWK200, SWK261, SWK270, students must receive a grade of C or better and have an overall GPA of 2.7.  In SWK305, SWK401 and SWK406, students must receive a B- or better.  In SWK361, students must receive a C or better.  All average GPA guidelines for each stage of progression in the Social Work major must also be met. 

Theatre Arts (BFA)

All theatre courses will be graded P/NP for the fall 2020 semester.  Graduating senior BFA students are encouraged to review their GPA and select letter grades in theatre courses that will best benefit their GPA in order to meet their minimum 3.0 major GPA requirement.  Specific questions should be directed to your faculty advisor.