- Each SEMESTER students must submit a VA Certification Request though their student Navigator account. Benefits will not be processed if the request is not received by Salem State University’s Veterans' Affairs Office.
Students are obligated to report any changes of status immediately to Salem State's veterans' affairs office, once an enrollment certification has been submitted to the VA. This includes any change in the number of credits for which students are enrolled, withdrawal from a course or program, and a change of major or program.
- Withdrawal from one or more courses which changes enrollment status, may result in an overpayment of VA benefits. If you have questions regarding overpayments, contact the VA at 1.888.442.4551.
- When receiving VA Educational Benefits, all courses must count towards completion of a degree program. Ensuring this requirement is the responsibility of the student.
- Recipients of Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 (REAP) once your enrollment has been certified by Salem State's Veterans’ Affairs Officer for the current semester, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your monthly benefit. To verify enrollment, go to gibill.va.gov/wave or call 1.877.823.2378.
- Members of the Massachusetts National Guard utilizing the 100 percent Tuition and Fee Reimbursement Program must submit a new Certificate of Eligibility to the veterans affairs office each semester.
To complete a VA Certification request:
2. Once at the Student Homepage, click on "Financial Account".
3. In the menu on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "VA Certification Request".
4. In the form provided within the screen, click on the search icon next to the text box that is titled "Select Term:". Here, you will select the semester in which you are requesting VA Educational Assistance.
5. Under the heading "Select your certification status", check the appropriate box that pertains to your status.
6. Under the heading "Select your benefit program", check the box next to your program.
7. Next, you must check the box next to "I understand my reporting and payment responsibilities".
8. Be sure to read and comply with the pop-up message/ additional questions that correspond with the answers you provided, if applicable. Then, click "Submit Request" located at the bottom of the form.
9. In the pop-up window, read the message and authorize the VA Certification request by clicking "Yes".
NOTE: A confirmation email will be sent to your SSU email account.
10. To review an existing request: Click on "Review Existing Requests" located under the completed electronic form.
-You may view your selected benefit within the chart. To view the details of your request: Click on the "Details" button within the chart. Here, you may view your selected certification status, benefit program, and responsibilities.
To cancel the certification request:
-Click on "Review Existing Requests" located under the completed electronic form.
-Under the heading "Request Status" within the chart, click on the drop-down menu and select "Cancel". To complete the action, click on "Save Status Changes" located to the bottom left of the chart.