To connect to the university WiFi network, a wireless device will need to support WiFi3 or newer.
WiFi5 or WiFi6-capable devices are highly recommended.
WiFi devices prior to WiFi3 are no longer supported on the Salem State network.
Unsupported wireless devices
There are many wireless-capable devices on the market and you may be considering what device(s) you want to purchase. It is very important to note that not all wireless-capable devices are supported on the Salem State network.
Access to the Salem State wireless network requires a device with a WiFi3 (formerly known as 802.11g) or newer network adapter.
A device is not supported and may not work on campus if the device:
- does not have an ethernet adapter or a WiFi3, or better, wireless adapter.
- does not have a browser installed.
- does not have WPA-2 Enterprise security settings.
- Devices that do not support WPA-2 Enterprise can be on the SalemState-IoT network but require registration.
- The SalemState-Guest WiFi network does not require WPA-2 Enterprise.
- requires the ability to "cast" or stream to another device on the network.
Examples of unsupported devices include, but are not limited to:
- GoPro HERO camera
- wireless printers