Skip to main content

Food and Housing Resources

As students, your focus should be on your studies. We know these are challenging times, and we are here to help. This webpage will serve as a guide to help you find the resources you need.

If food or housing insecurities or the lack of other basic needs are coming between you and your learning, please contact to talk to the Student Wellness Case Management Team. 


Salem State Food Pantry 

  • Located in Ellison Campus Center, on the first floor, next to Counseling and Health Services.
  • Open Monday - Friday, 7 am – 10 pm, or whenever the ECC is open.
  • You will need your SSU ClipperCard to access the space.
  • Stocked with non-perishable food items, various toiletries, and hygiene products. It also has a microwave.
  • The food pantry is unstaffed; please take what you need when you need it.
  • Contact with any questions, concerns, or suggestions. 

The Salem Pantry Pop Up

  • A weekly cost-free mobile food pantry that brings fresh produce and healthy shelf-stable food to campus.
  • Every Wednesday from 10 am – 12 pm, on campus at 68 Loring Avenue across from Central Campus.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the federal government has expanded students’ access to SNAP benefits. You may qualify for benefits if you:

  • receive a MassGrant or Pell Grant 
  • are eligible for work-study (even if you do not have a work-study job)


  • have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 as determined by the FAFSA

To learn more about SNAP and apply online, visit the SNAP website.

  • Applications typically take less than 20 minutes.
  • There are additional SNAP rules and income eligibility requirements you must meet to qualify and benefits vary based on household size.

MA Healthy Incentives Program (HIP) 

As part of your SNAP benefits, you are automatically enrolled and able to participate in HIP. HIP puts money back on your EBT card when you use your SNAP benefits to buy healthy, local fruits and vegetables from HIP farm vendors.

To identify locations/vendors where HIP is accepted visit

Project Bread 

  • Project Bread runs a toll-free and confidential hotline across the state to help connect residents with food resources, call 1.800.645.8333 for assistance.
  • Available Monday - Friday, 8 am - 7 pm and Saturday 10 am - 2 pm.
  • Counselors can assist callers in 180 languages.
  • Their counselors can help with SNAP (eligibility screening, information, and over-the-phone application assistance), finding free meals for kids, school meal sites, summer meal sites, P-EBT, local food pantries, and more.


  • If you are interested in living on campus at Salem State, please reach out to Residence Life with any questions about options and pricing. 
  • If you find yourself in an emergency housing situation (sleeping in your car or another place unsuitable for living, couch surfing, in a shelter, or in an unsafe living environment), please complete the Emergency Housing Form. We can explore on-campus housing options if appropriate or connect you with local housing resources. Staff is available M-F 8:30 am-5 pm. 
  • If you are in imminent danger please contact campus police at 978.542.6111 or call 911. 
  • For urgent mental health support please call the SSU 24/7 Mental Health Support line at 978.542.8327.
  • Mass211 is available 24/7 for help getting connected to local health and human services in your community. Dial 211 or 1.877.211.MASS (6277) 

Emergency Housing Assistance

  • If you are having trouble paying your rent or mortgage, lost your job and/or income, or at risk of becoming homeless due to the Covid-19 health crisis, the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) may be able to help.
  • DHCD offers programs that can assist low-income households and can help get you connected with federal relief programs.
  • Please visit the website or call 2-1-1 for more information and eligibility information.

Emergency Broadband Benefit

  • This federal program was designed to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the Covid-19 health crisis.
  • Provides a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households.
  • For more information about eligibility and to apply, go to or call 833.511.0311 for a paper application.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) 

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides eligible households with help paying a portion of winter heating bills. The application is free and needs to be submitted by April 30, 2022. However, payment help can be retroactive to November 1, 2021. Your gas and electricity cannot be shut off if infants under 12 months or adults over 65 live in the home. Please call 1.800.632.8175 for assistance and visit the website for additional information.

Lynn Housing Authority and Neighborhood Development (LHAND)

  • LHAND works with Salem State Case Management to help SSU students find safe and stable housing.
  • The North Shore Housing Action Group (NSHAG) is a state-funded program to assist unaccompanied, homeless, or housing insecure young adults between 18 and 24 in Essex County.
  • The program can provide financial assistance, case management, coordination of services, and referrals to additional services.
  • Contact for a referral or contact Michelle D'Amico and Brandy Rodriguez directly at LHAND: and

The Haven Project, Lynn 

  • The Haven Project is the only organization north of Boston dedicated to assisting unaccompanied, homeless, or housing insecure young adults aged 17-24.
  • Client Services Centers are located in downtown Lynn and at Lifebridge North Shore in Salem and provide help with immediate basic needs.
  • Contact The Haven Project at 781.913.5738 for more information about their services.

Lifebridge North Shore, Salem

  • Lifebridge provides emergency and transitional housing, case management services, and community meals.
  • Services may be impacted by COVID-19. Please call 978.744.0500 for updated information and immediate assistance.

YOUnity Drop-In Center

Located in Gloucester and available for young adults (ages 16-25).

Offers a variety of free supports, including case management, peer support groups, mental health workshops, and free use of facilities including washers/dryers, hygiene supplies, a kitchen and food pantry.

For Salem Residents

Essex County Bar Association

The Essex County Bar Association offers free lawyer referral services and 30-minute consultations. Complete the referral form on their website or call them at: 978.741.7888.


The City of Salem's local rental relief program offers two $500 rental assistance checks to income-eligible households impacted by COVID-19. The program is administered by North Shore Community Action Programs (NSCAP).

Contact NSCAP at 978.548.5776 or email NSCAP at to apply or ask questions.

City of Salem Housing Stability Service 

The city of Salem has launched a new Housing Stability Service which provides free housing information to Salem’s lower-income renters and Salem landlords with lower-income tenants. The service includes drop-in hours, a hotline, and a website. The phone number is 978-500-0973 and will be answered live on Wednesdays from 9 am – 2 pm and Thursdays from 4 pm – 7 pm. Please visit their website for additional information about services provided.

Other can connect you with local, statewide, and federal resources and provides real-time information about availability, wait times, and serves as a support and referral platform.

Do You Need More Help?

Counseling and Health Services
Walk-In Service: North Campus, Ellison Campus Center 107
Find more information: Online Health Portal